Let’s get a quick overview of Encryption - Symmetric Key vs Asymmetric Key.
You will learn
- What is Encryption?
- Why do we need Encryption?
- When do we use Encryption - Symmetric Key vs Asymmetric Key?
- How is Symmetric Key Encryption different from Asymmetric Key Encryption?
- What are different Data States?
AWS Certification - 25 PDF Cheat Sheets + Free Course
Each cheat sheet contains:
- FAQs and Tutorials with 5-20 slides
- Notes to quickly review and prepare for certification exam
- Certification Exam Tips
- Certification and Interview Scenario Questions
- Data at rest: Stored on a device or a backup
- Examples : data on a hard disk, in a database, backups and archives
- Data in motion: Being transferred across a network
- Also called Data in transit
- Examples :
- Data copied from on-premise to cloud storage
- An application in a VPC talking to a database
- Two Types:
- In and out of AWS
- Within AWS
- Data in use: Active data processed in a non-persistent state
- Example: Data in your RAM
- If you store data as is, what would happen if an unauthorized entity gets access to it?
- Imagine losing an unencrypted hard disk
- First law of security : Defense in Depth
- Typically, enterprises encrypt all data
- Data on your hard disks
- Data in your databases
- Data on your file servers
- Is it sufficient if you encrypt data at rest?
- No. Encrypt data in transit - between application to database as well.
Symmetric Key Encryption
- Symmetric encryption algorithms use the same key for encryption and decryption
- Key Factor 1: Choose the right encryption algorithm
- Key Factor 2: How do we secure the encryption key?
- Key Factor 3: How do we share the encryption key?
Asymmetric Key Encryption
- Two Keys : Public Key and Private Key
- Also called Public Key Cyptography
- Encrypt data with Public Key and decrypt with Private Key
- Share Public Key with everybody and keep the Private Key with you(YEAH, ITS PRIVATE!)
- No crazy questions:
- Will somebody not figure out private key using the public key?
- How do you create Asymmetric Keys?