Let’s get a quick overview of Amazon S3 Storage Classes from an AWS certification perspective. We will look at important certification questions regarding Amazon S3 Storage Classes.
You will learn
- What are the different Amazon S3 Storage Classes?
- Why are Amazon S3 Storage Classes important?
- When do we use Amazon S3 Storage Classes?
- Differences and Comparison of Amazon S3 Storage Classes - Standard vs Intelligent Tiering vs Standard IA vs One Zone IA vs Glacier vs Glacier Deep Archive
AWS Certification - 25 PDF Cheat Sheets + Free Course
Each cheat sheet contains:
- FAQs and Tutorials with 5-20 slides
- Notes to quickly review and prepare for certification exam
- Certification Exam Tips
- Certification and Interview Scenario Questions
Amazon S3 Storage Classes - Introduction
Different kinds of data can be stored in Amazon S3
- Media files and archives
- Application packages and logs
- Backups of your databases or storage devices
- Long term archives
There are Huge variations in access patterns. So, you have to Trade-off between access time and cost.
S3 storage classes help to optimize your costs while meeting access time needs. They are designed for durability of 99.999999999%(11 9’s).
Amazon S3 Storage Classes - Types
Here are the important S3 Storage Classes:
|Standard||Frequently accessed data||>=3|
|Standard-IA||Long-lived, infrequently accessed data (backups for disaster recovery)||>=3|
|One Zone-IA||Long-lived, infrequently accessed, non-critical data (Easily re-creatable data - thumbnails for images)||1|
|Intelligent-Tiering||Long-lived data with changing or unknown access patterns||>=3|
|Glacier||Archive data with retrieval times ranging from minutes to hours||>=3|
|Glacier Deep Archive||Archive data that rarely, if ever, needs to be accessed with retrieval times in hours||>=3|
|Reduced Redundancy (Not recommended)||Frequently accessed, non-critical data||>=3|
Amazon S3 Storage Classes - Comparison
Here is the comparison between different S3 Storage Classes:
|Feature||Standard||Intelligent Tiering||Standard IA||One Zone IA||Glacier||Glacier Deep Archive|
|First byte: ms (milliseconds)||ms||ms||ms||ms||minutes or hours||few hours|
|Min object size (for billing)||NA||NA||128KB||128KB||40KB||40KB|
|Min storage days (for billing)||NA||30||30||30||90||180|
|Per GB Cost (varies)||$0.025||varies||$0.018||$0.0144||$0.005||$0.002|