Let’s get a quick overview of Amazon Kinesis - Data Streams, Firehose, Analytics and Video Streams. We will look at important certification questions regarding Amazon Kinesis - Data Streams, Firehose, Analytics and Video Streams.
You will learn
- How do you handle streaming data in AWS?
- What is Amazon Kinesis?
- What are the different Amazon Kinesis Options - Data Streams, Firehose, Analytics and Video Streams?
- When do you use - Amazon Kinesis Data Streams vs Amazon Kinesis Firehose vs Amazon Kinesis Analytics vs Amazon Kinesis Video Streams?
Amazon Kinesis Handles streaming data:
- NOT recommended for ETL Batch Jobs
Some of the important components in Amazon Kinesis include:
- Amazon Kinesis Data Streams
- Process Data Streams
- Amazon Kinesis Firehose
- Data ingestion for streaming data : S3, Elasticsearch etc
- Amazon Kinesis Analytics
- Run queries against streaming data
- Amazon Kinesis Video Streams
- Monitor video streams
Amazon Kinesis Data Streams
Amazon Kinesis Data Streams is a limitless Real time stream processing. Provides Sub second processing latency.
Here are some of the important features of Amazon Kinesis Data Streams:
- Alternative for Kafka
- Supports multiple clients
- Each client can track their stream position
- Retain and replay data (max 7 days & default 1 day)
Amazon Kinesis Data Streams - Integrations
- Use application integrations to generate streams
- Toolkits : AWS SDK, AWS Mobile SDK, Kinesis Agent
- Service Integrations : AWS IOT, CloudWatch Events and Logs
- Process streams using Kinesis Stream Applications
- Run on EC2 instances
- Written using Kinesis Data Streams APIs
Amazon Kinesis Data Firehose
- Data ingestion for streaming data
- Process ( transform - Lambda, compress, encrypt )
- Store stream data to S3, Elasticsearch, Redshift and Splunk
- Use existing analytics tools based on S3, Redshift and Elasticsearch
- Pay for volume of data ingested (Serverless)
Amazon Kinesis Analytics
- You want to continuously find active number of users on a website in the last 5 minutes based on streaming website data
- With Amazon Kinesis Analytics, you can write SQL queries and build Java applications to continuously analyze your streaming data
Amazon Kinesis Video Streams
- Monitor video streams from web-cams
- Examples: traffic lights, shopping malls, homes etc
- Integrate with machine learning frameworks to get intelligence